Things I've learnt

Ok, so these are points based on MY OWN experience. But having worked at 14 different places in 3 different countries, both design and not, by process of elimination I know what I DON'T want.

- a boss that penalizes me for leaving early, but doesn't reward me for working late (which happens daily).

- a company that makes full-time staff redundant yet keeps takes on more freelancers and placements.

- a place where co-workers do not spend lunch together and prefer to scoff food over their keyboard.

- a place where everyone wears earphones and doesn't talk.

- bosses that don't consider their staff humans with a family and a life outside of work.

- consultancies that look unorganized from the outside (can you imagine being on the INSIDE of that mess?)

- a consultancy that shines as an ethical and sustainable company to their clients but DO NOT PAY placements and treat them like slaves. Ahem...what was that project you did against sweat shops??

- a company where working until 3am is expected of designers, as well as coming in on Saturdays. Seriously? How good can the pay possibly be?

The thing is...if you treat your staff well, they will be more productive and loyal. I know where I've worked at companies where I felt appreciated and was rewarded for doing well, I WANTED to go in early and stay late. It's all about corporate well being and productivity. Give and you will get. People seem to forget it's the little things that make a difference. Mario Papadopoullos is a health and lifestyle coach in South Africa and he give talks about Corporate Productivity Enhancement. Something that is needed here in London I feel.

Comments

I'm a 100% with you.

Popular Posts