On following tutors advice





Too often students (myself included) look to their tutors for guidance and advice, and although they may mean well, they don't always know best. I know my tutors certainly had their favourites and did more to help them, and while they may not have believed in me very much, I'm glad I didn't let that affect my decisions. Since graduating in 2008, my portfolio has gone from strength to strength without tutoring, but rather mentoring from creative directors, interviewees, online peers on sites such as Behance. Having read the interview with Alison Charmichael on It's nice That, I'm glad to hear I was not the only one who felt my tutors did not necessarily know what they were talking about. Let's not forget, that while may tutors may be in the industry, as this recession has proven, they cannot predict what is coming in the future. So, my advice is to you, do your thing, keep experimenting long after graduating and keep researching on current trends and designers. I know I'm far from done learning new things and I know I have yet to reach my full potential which is an exciting prospect. I am finding it a bit of a struggle to find like-minded designers and artists in Cyprus, as I would LOVE to collaborate on some personal work, but in the meantime, I'll happily beaver away at personal projects alone with feedback and comments from online peers :)

Peace!

Comments

Popular Posts